Am I eligible for a green card through my father?

My father has recently been accepted for permanent residency in the U.S.

2017. He is Turkish, but a British Citizen and now an American Citizen. I am looking to relocate to the US, I am a British Citizen. Am I eligible to apply for a green card and/or work visa given and using his status as a legal American citizen? What would the process be?

Asked on August 13, 2018 under Immigration Law, Maine


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

If he is a US citizen now he can petition for you as his child and depending on how old you are, the process can take anywhere from a year (if you are under 21) or several years if you are over the age of 21.  You cannot get any status immediately just because he is not a US citizen.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.