Am I being treated fairly by my company

I work in the health field as a full time regular track employee with benefits. I
have my daughter on my insurance. Last week my unit was broken down and
all employees within the unit was offered another position within the company.
The particular position i was offered isn’t different at all from what i was doing,
If anything the only difference was the location. The CEO offered me the
position in which after all things taken into consideration i contacted my newly
assigned supervisor and informed him that i would like to accept the new
position. I contacted HR and informed them as well. Yesterday i received a
call from my supervisor and he stated to me that the position that i was offered
had already been filled and that the same position on the other end of the
week was available. However there are no benefits, and Ive pretty much been
told that if i don’t take this position then there are no other offers on the table.
If this is indeed the circumstances should i get a lawyer involved ? Also the
company is an AT WILL company.

Asked on March 2, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Alaska


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, the last line of your question answers it: in employment at will, you have no rights to your position, or to any job, or to your current compensation or benefits. Your employer is not required to offer you continued benefits.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.