Am I allowed to sue the DMV for putting wrong information on my driver’s license?

For example, On the gender in my D.L they put down male, even though the information and paperwork i provided for them clearly stated female. I find it kind of offensive and prejudice being that I am not very feminine, but i am indeed a female. I feel like they assumed i was male and left it at that, I’ve been very embarrassed to show my I.D at places and I feel very uncomfortable, I do not have the money to replace it. To make matters worse I’m now registered in the selective service and I don’t know what to do about this.

Asked on July 24, 2012 under Business Law, Minnesota


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You can sue your state's department of motor vehicles for incorrectly placing information on your driver's license but most likely you will not prevail for the simple fact that I see no allowable damages that you may be entitled to as a matter of law.

The best way to resolve the problem is to go to the local department of motor vehicles and advise its representative of the problem and seek a new driver's license to replace the one you have stating your true gender.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.