Am I able to verify the address of a defendant with their landlord for court?

I am suing a customer of mine who has skipped out on their bill for our services. I just received the address verification form and I am trying to figure out what is appropriate to send in? This family filled out registration and financial forms with their address but I have no return mail with their address. I do know that they rent and I know the contact information for the landlord. Can I verify this person’s address with the landlord are they able to even give me that information? If not, what are some other applicable ways I can verify an address? This person has changed their phone numbers as well as email. The only verification that I currently have is a certified letter that was mailed to the address and accepted.

Asked on December 12, 2017 under Business Law, Massachusetts


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You can ask the landlord to verify the address: you cannot force them to do so, however. It would be voluntary for them to provide this information. If the landlord will not, all you can do is something like internet searches, or "stake out" the landlord's location to see if they do live there, or perhaps hire someone (like a P.I., an attorney specializing in collections work, or a constable) who has experience, expertise, and resources for tracking down addresses. (There are some research tools, for example, that attorneys likely have access to which can help find an address; you would most likely not have access to them, however, unless you subscribe to some online research service like Westlaw or Lexis.)
If it's not worth hiring someone to help with the case (i.e. it's for too little money), it is probably not worth spending much time or effort on pursuing.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.