Am I a defensive driver?

I person I knew insisted to drive her car while she was transported furniture by other van I was following her vehicle. While I was exiting a highway, I realized that car I was in had faulty brakes. Multiple applications on brake pedal did not slow the car. Since car was accelerating I had to avoid a vehicle in front of me from the left side and in order not to crush into the cars slowing down ahead of me, I made a decision and turn the wheel left. The car was crushed on the tree. The police officer without questioning me and finding out what actually happened stated in the report that the car could not negotiate curb and found me at fault. That is not correct. My insurance premium increased due to being defensive driver. What should I do and how to find justice for financial and physical emotional damages.

Asked on June 12, 2017 under Accident Law, Maryland


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

The only way to prove that your contention was correct would be with a report about the condition of the brakes at the time of the accident. If the car, albeit having been totalled, is still intact (has no been chopped up or crushed, etc.), you could go to court (file a legal action) and get a court order allowing you to have a mechanic, brake specialist, etc. examine the brakes for you and write a report; however, the cost of doing so (legal costs; costs to pay the expert; etc.) may be more than you'd hope to save on your insurance rates.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.