I may be getting laid off from my current position and am currently obligated to
pay support to my spouse. What will happen if I no longer make the same amount
of money and can no longer afford to pay the same amount. Would the answer
change if I were to quit of get fired? Thank you

Asked on December 13, 2017 under Family Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

First, if you quit or resign, you will have no right or chance to change the amount of alimony you pay: the law does not alter your obligations based on your voluntary actions.
If you are laid off or terminated, the court *may* reduce your obligation if you convince the court that it was not due to your fault, choice or actions; that you cannot in a reasonable time get a new job at a similar (or higher salary); that you are making sincere, reasonable efforts to get a new job; and that it would be a significan hardship on you to pay the existing alimony. You would file a legal action (typically a motion, filed under the docket number of your divorce case) in court and serve a copy on your ex; your ex has the right to notice and challenge your request for an alimony reduction.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.