Alimony payments

I was divorced in 2008, my ex and I were both military. I divorced in TN. She since has had a move in boyfriend living with her for several years now. They are both employed. Can I request to stop the alimony payments?

Asked on June 3, 2016 under Family Law, Oregon


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Spousal support can last until either the death of either the ex-spouse or until the party receiving the support remarries. While, living with a boyfriend is not considered remarriage, it make for an arguable presumption that the need for spousal support as decreased due to your ex-wifes's boyfriend's income (sometimes referred to as "new mate income"). If your ex-wife is living with her boyfriend and you can prove it, it is within the court's discretion to either reduce the amount of spousal support that you pay or eliminate it altogether. You definitely should consider requesting a reduction in what you are currently required to pay. At this point, you can consult directly with a local divorce attorney; they can best advise you further.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.