Who has the right to get a baby tested regarding paternity?

I am living with my boyfriend who is in the process of a divorce (awaiting 365 days until divorce as required by law). I am pregnant. Can his ex-wife have my new baby tested for paternity or do I have rights as a mother to keep her out of his issues?

Asked on March 17, 2011 under Family Law, Louisiana


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You raise a very interesting question that is known under the law as legal "standing" to request relief by the court, which is who would order a paternity test if the parties did not voluntarily get one.  Although I believe that his wife could make an issue out of the matter - his paying child support to another child is generally a factor taken in to account by most states when computing child support calculations - but I do not think that if he admitted paternity and was willing to take the child as his own she wold have any standing to force the issue.  Double check with an attorney in your area on the matter (I hate to say this but Louisiana is governed by the Napoleonic Code and the law down there is not always the same as in other parts of the country).  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.