Alimony adjustment

If i am paying off a mortgage as decided
by the judge in my divorce and the house
will be signed over to my ex when the
mortgage is paid off in a few months,
will i still have to give her the amount
of money i was was paying directly to
the mortagage. I live in sc

Asked on September 18, 2018 under Family Law, South Carolina


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

What does the divorce agremeent or the divorce decree state as to same?  That is the controlling document and if it is not clearly spelled out then I would take it to an attorney to review.  If it is clear that the funds are intended to pay off the mortgage and not as spousal supoort I would bring an action to stop paying after the mortgage is paid off.  Just to clarify.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.