Again in response to my question..there are no documents reguarding custody yet.

Asked on June 15, 2009 under Family Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Ok, so the Father has never paid child support and there are no legal documents regarding custody yet.  You need to make some decisions on the level of involvement both emotionally and financially you wish your child to have with his/her Father.  Those decisions will effect how you proceed about moving out of state.  In New York, the Father has the obligation to pay support and the right to be in close proximity to the child to make it easy for visitation.  I strongly suggest that you see an attorney about your options and negotiating what you feel is best for you and the baby.  Terminating his rights vs. paying support, etc. are all facotrs to consider. Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.