What to do if my former landlord will not make arrangements to let me pick up my personal property from the premises?

When we were evicted the constable said we had 10 days to acquire our property and that the landlord was supposed to give us a reasonable chance to do so. Since then neither myself, my mother, and my father have all called numerous times. I now have only 4 or 5 days left and the only time I have gotten through is by blocking our number. However, once our landlord’s personal care assistant realized who was calling she said the landlord wasn’t there and hung up quickly. I’ve also text everyday since being evicted. The problem is that I only can get a truck on the weekends and I don’t have enough days left.

Asked on November 7, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If the former landlord is not making any accomodations to you about picking up your property at the former rental, you need to immediately send the landlord a letter certified mail, return receipt requested advising him or her that you are ready to pick up your items as soon as possible and that any disposal of the items will be subject to a legal action.

Keep a copy of the letter for future need. Possibly you might wish to consult with a landlord tenant attorney to assist you in the event the landlord disposes of your property. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.