After buying our home,We have fouind plumbing problems that will cost us between $3000.00 to $5000.00. Is there any recourse to get some of this back

When we bought the house we had an inspector come in and do an inspection on the house. At the time the water was not on in the house and there was no way for him to check the plumbing in the house. Aftrer moving in we found that the shower drain was broken under the slap and it cost us $1200.00 to fix it. A few months later we found that the washing machine drain was not draining. I had a plumber come out and they determined the line was busted under the house and they quoted me $2500.00 just to start the job. They just had the foundation repaired and i believe this damage was done then.

Asked on May 31, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Texas


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I think it's worth talking to the attorney who handled the closing for you about this.  The answer depends on a number of things, quite possibly, but it focuses around the question of what the seller knew, and what the seller's obligation was to tell you about it before the sale.

Sound advice will have to be based on all the facts, including quite possibly your contract, and the inspection report and warranty, if any.  It may also depend on Texas law, and this is an area where the states do differ.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.