After being sentenced can you request a new appearence in front of the judge?

My husband violated probation and was sentenced to 1 year but only have to serve 6 months. We didn’t have the money the first time on probation. Now we do can he request as different sentence for like weekend jail and anger management if we pay in advance by talking to his old probation officer or is there any way that we can have his sentence shortened?

Asked on June 27, 2009 under Criminal Law, Georgia


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I'm not a Georgia attorney, and the law and procedure on this subject vary a bit from one state to another.  But in almost every state, the reasons that you can use (successfully) to get a sentence changed are very limited, and I doubt that you'll be able to fit into any of them.

For advice you can rely on, though, you need to talk to a lawyer in your area, who can review all of the unique facts of your case. One place to find an attorney who can look at this for you is our website,

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.