What can I do if after being fired I was not paid some wages and traveling expenses?

Also, are there monetary penalties if I win my labor board case? This happened over a year ago.

Asked on September 17, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can do what you have done file a complaint wiht the labor board. You could also have sued the employer for the wages and expenses, such as in small claims court which probably would have been faster, but generally cannot do both. There is tyically no additional monetary penalties in cases like this--generally, your compensation, if you win, is to receive the money that should have been paid to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.