After a plea agreement is reached can a police officer appeal the decision?

I was issued 6 tickets, including DUI and refusal. They dropped everything and had me plea out to careless driving. Today I get told that a police officer is putting in an appeal to make me go to trial. This just doesn’t sound right to me. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Asked on May 29, 2012 under Criminal Law, New Jersey


Kevin Bessant / Law Office of Kevin Bessant & Associates

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Typically once a plea deal is reached, and you plead guilty before the court/Judge, the plea is binding. The officer can not force you to go to trial. At best, the officer can object to the plea deal and have the prosecutor refuse to offer you any plea deal, but if you have already plead guilty to the plea, then that plea agreement should be binding with the court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.