after 40 years of residence shared with my mother who just passed away the landlord wants to raise my rent and sign a lease (no pryer lease made )

Asked on June 25, 2009 under Real Estate Law, California


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am a lawyer in CT and practice in this area of the law.  If you had not prior lease, then you had a month to month tenancy. Under such a tenancy, the term lasts one month and the amount is what the landlord accepts.  If the landlord decides to change the rent to a higher figure, he is able to do that at the expiration of the month.  If you fail to pay the increase rent you may be evicted.  I suggest trying to negotiate the rent amount.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.