Advice on Information Subpoena in New Jersey

I had a judgment against me in small claims court. I filed a motion to amend judgment 7 days after the court case (I felt it was unfair), and sent papers to both the plaintiff and the court. I just received a copy of an information subpoena today in my mailbox (not mailed, hand-delivered) from him.I obviously do not wish to turn over all my personal information to the plaintiff. I have two questions:1) Can I reply to the subpoena that a motion is pending and I will not answer but pay post judment on motion?2) Can I ignore the subpoena as I wasn’t served in person or by certified mail?

Asked on June 16, 2009 under Real Estate Law, New Jersey


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I think you're either going to have to answer the information subpoena or make another motion, to stay the subpoena (or at least your time to answer) while your motion to amend the judgment is pending.

Your question didn't explain why it is that you believed the judgment  was unfair.  It may be that what you really need to do is file an appeal, and the time for that is very limited.  For more information, and accurate advice about what you need to be doing if you want to go on fighting this, you need to have all of the facts of your case reviewed by an attorney in your area.  One place to find a lawyer is our website,

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.