Advanced Health Care Directive changes

Due to a change in primary care doctors can I just update the information about the doctors name and address without having to create a new document and have it witnessed in California?

Asked on October 25, 2017 under Estate Planning, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you may. You may create a brief (paragraph or so) "Addendum" to the Health Care Directive which can update the doctor's information. The only important thing is that it must be signed and witnessed, etc. the exact same way the original Directive was, to be enforceale; and then give copies to everyone holding a copy the original Directive.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.