Admitted to theft without proof

I gave a written statement to the police admitting to the theft of money from my place of employment. There is no proof of money missing, nothing on camera. I’ve never been in any kind of legal trouble before but I am being charged with five counts of theft under $500. I know there isn’t a way to undo giving the statement, is there anyway to help the outcome? I have court next month, state is TN.

Asked on June 11, 2009 under Criminal Law, Tennessee


M.S., Member, Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you have not already figured it out, the best thing you can do at this point is to hire an experienced criminal defense attorney and stop making statements while not represented and/or in the presence/at the advice of your attorney.  Given the complete lack of evidence other than the statement that you provided, chances are you never would have been arrested, much less prosecuted, had you refused to speak to the police without an attorney present.  However, now that the damage has been done, you can "stop the bleeding" so to speak, by hiring an attorney and trying to formulate the best possible defense in light of what has already transpired.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.