adding my wifes name to our coop

I own my coop here in Broward County Florida. I was married a few years ago and
want to add my wife’s name on it in case something happens to me I don’t want her
having any legal issues.

Asked on September 25, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Florida


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

Unlike with a condo, you do not own a real estate interest your home, you own shares in a corporation which owns the real estate. Therefore, you cannot add your wife's name to the title via a quitclaim deed as you would with real estate. Instead, her name needs to be added to your shares. Each co-op board has very specific procedeures for doing just this. You'll need to consult with the board to see just what they are.

M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

Congratulations!   You would need to contact the cooperative board member who can help you add her name to the shares.  Each coop has different rules but generally speaking, the shares are re-issued with her name on them too.  If there is a mortgage you may want to speak with a real estate attorney on this.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.