Add husand to mortgage without paying 7% sales tax when filing quitclaim deed.

We live in Florida. I owned a house before I got married. I would like to add my husband to the title of our house. I”m told we have to file a quitclaim deed with the clerk of the court, but then we have to pay 7% sales tax on the house. That’s $800 just to add his name to the title of the house. Is there anyway around this? A less expensive alternative?

Asked on June 13, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Florida


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Nope.  Many states have such a transfer tax.  Quitclaim basically means to give title without warranty.  Perhaps refinancing? Most states don't have a separate tax on refinancing.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.