What to do if wrongfully accused of breaking and entering?

I went to my girlfriends house to pickup the keys to my car. As Iwas knocking on the door it opened because it was not shut tight (I’m assuming) She was not in sight so I said, “Hello” a few times. She came and then accused me of breaking in with a credit card which I did not. To avoid anymore conflict I left and returned home. I contacted the police and they said that she called. I gave my side of the story and have not heard anything for almost a week? Am I in trouble or do they just make a report?

Asked on September 22, 2011 under Criminal Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You may be in trouble, but you won't know it unless and until you are arrested and charged. Given that nothing has happened yet, it's very likely you will not be arrested--but again, you really can't know for sure yet. The police OFTEN just take reports they deem that no actual crime was committed (e.g. that it was a misunderstanding).

If you are arrested, then get a criminal defense attorney and let him or her represent you; you don't want to take responsibility for your own freedom and criminal record when you don't have the training or experience. Let the expert--the lawyer--help you.

In the meantime, you may wish to rethink your relationship--is it wise to be with someone who will call the police on you when you seemingly not doing anything wrong? Note that if she reports you again, it may start to look like you are harassing or stalking her.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.