If according to my divorce papers I am supposed to receive a car from my ex that was given to me by my in-laws, if he doesn’t give it to me can I seek money for it?

Or am I out one car due to the fact i am not on the title? They have the car right now but was given to me by my ex as part of the divorce claim.

Asked on September 18, 2012 under Family Law, Texas


Anthony Van Johnson / VANJOHNSON LAW FIRM, L.L.C.

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If your Final Judgment and Decree (which would include any agreements incorporated into the court's order) awards the vehicle to you, then you are entitled to receive the vehicle. If your ex husband fails to comply with the court's  order, you should retain the services of an attorney to file a motion for contempt.  As part of the motion, you can request attorneys fees, in addition to the incarceration of your ex husband until he complies with the court's order.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.