What can I do if I had an accident without insurance?

My insurance went into lapse due to broker miscommunication. I got in a car

accident. No one was injured but my car is pretty much totaled and the other driver’s car has minor damage. I didn’t brake fast enough and rear-ended the car.

Asked on March 10, 2016 under Accident Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

The driver who rear ends the other driver is generally considered to be at fault. (He is considered to have negligent, by not maintaining a safe following distance or not paying enough attention.) That means that you would have to pay for his damage--out of pocket, if you don't have insurance--and he would not have to pay for your damage (only persons who are at fault have to pay in car accident cases).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.