What to do regarding an accident for which I was at fault was at fault if I’m being sued over it?

I was driving at rush hour and I rear-ended another driver at about 5 mph; they were fine the accident was more so of a love tap. Now they are suing me for all damages and asking me to reply to the letter and pay the fines constituted with the accident or they will have to

Asked on July 14, 2018 under Accident Law, Michigan


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

The fact is that this type of situation happens all the time. Your insurance company will handle everything. Typically, such cases are settled without a lawsuit being filed. And if one is filed, your insurer will provide one for you at no charge.

S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

Refer the matter to your auto insurance company which will handle it for you. 
These cases are usually settled with the insurance company without a lawsuit being filed.
If the case is not settled, and a lawsuit is filed against you, your insurance company will provide you with an attorney at no cost to you.
DON'T worry about it because if a lawsuit is filed, that won't occur for at least a year.  Again, most of these cases are settled without filing a lawsuit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.