Can an abstract of jjudgment be issued without any notice to the person against whom it was issued?

This is from a credit card debt. I never received the summons via certified receipt. I just decided to check the court website to find out if something had indeed been filed, and I see abstract of judgement issued. What are my options, if I have any?

Asked on November 9, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you have discovered an abstract of judgment against you concerning a credit card debt, it means that a judgment has been entered against you.

An abstract of judgment does not need to be issued with notice to a judgment debtor. Since you seemingly have a judgment against you resulting in an abstract of judgment, you should consult with a debt collection attorney about your situation and how to set aside the judgment against you. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.