If I was in a car accident and was found guilty so I entered into a repayment arrangement with the other driver, can he change that agreement after 10 months?

The owner of the other vehicle send me a letter saying that I had to pay $650 worth of damage to his car. I asked him to give me time to collect the money because I don’t have a job and I was attending school. Later on, I asked him if I could pay him in payments, which he agreed to. Recently, I called him to meet with me so that I can make a payment but now he changed his mind and told me to pay him in full or he will sue me. Can he sue me after I agreed to pay him and even though it has been 10 months since the accident?

Asked on June 30, 2014 under Accident Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Assuming you have a signed and dated agreement setting forth the terms of your repayment agreement with the other side, that agrement controls. However if the agreement is oral and nothing memorializes it, you may have an issue about being sued by the other driver. It is important to get all in writing signed by the other party.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.