If I’m paying my child support, don’t I then have then have visitation rights?

Asked on July 14, 2015 under Family Law, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Contray to popular belief, child support and visitation are not related. Therefore if, for example, you are denied visitation with your child you cannot stop paying support. What you need to do is to set up go to court and have a formal visitation schedule set up. If one already exists but your child's other parent is violating it, this is again a matter for the courts; it can order that the schedule be enforced and it the other parent fails to comply they can be held in contempt and face fines and/or penalties.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.