What to do if a year ago my son’s dad passed away but he didn’t have time to change the deed on his house and he wanted my son to have it?

The deed was in his mom’s name. I have been paying the mortgage payment every month. He did not have a Will and his mom filed full power. She has not heard back from courts yet and she is very ill. Is there a way that she can sign it over to my son or does she have to wait until it’s out of probate?

Asked on November 13, 2014 under Estate Planning, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  Please have your son's Grandmother speak with a lawyer.  Many will go to a house to see them when ill.  If the deed is in her name the property was not her son's and your state law will govern distribution upon death if there is not a Last Will and testament in place.  It gets very complicated.  Please seek help.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.