What to do if a woman claims that I hit her with my car?

An officer watched the video and saw her hit my car with her hand. He told me not to worry, however the video is now deleted. My insurance company called and said they are going to settle with her for $50,000. I told them not to. This is a false claim. What are my rights? She filed a statement after it happened but didn’t file a police report for a while. Then 2 days after video was deleted. I have gotten no information about any of this. Just the phone call today from my insurance company.

Asked on November 21, 2013 under Accident Law, South Carolina


Maury Beaulier / MinnesotaLawyers.com

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

In most insurance contracts, that settltemnt decision is up to your insurere who bears the brunt of the liability.  

Brook Miscoski / Hurr Law Office PC

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Typically, since your insurer is on the hook for a legal defense, your insurer may want to settle a case rather than fight it out just because you feel that you are "in the right." Often, the contract doesn't give you the ability to overrule your insurer's decision. And the contracts that do give you such an option, would put at least some of the risk of loss on you.

It's hard to believe that an insurer would pay $50,000 to settle a bump to someone's HAND. If I were you, I would feel grateful for insurance and consider whether my recollection of events was entirely accurate.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.