If someone came to my home and attacked me, can I sue for the pain, suffering and emotional distress?

A woman attacked me in my home while my 8 year old daughter was screaming and crying. She was arrested and went through the pre-trial program. I feel that wasn’t enough so I want to sue her for distress. My daughter had to leave school the next day because she was sick to her stomach, my tires were slashed so I couldn’t work also I was sore because of the fight.

Asked on November 28, 2011 under Personal Injury, Louisiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Youi can definitely sue for lost wages, for medical costs (which can possibly include therapy or counseling, if needed, for both you and your daughter), and property damage (e.g. the tires). You may be able to sue as well for emotional damages--the intentional inflicton of emotional harm--and/or punative damages, since this was a deliberate and, from what you write, malicious attack. It would be worthwhile for you to consult with a personal injury attorney about what you might be able to recover. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.