If awife filed and was granted a divorce but the paperwork was never filed, can the husband have the paperwork filed?

Asked on November 3, 2011 under Family Law, Louisiana


Betsy Fischer / Betsy A. Fischer LLC

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

I am not sure that I understand your question.  I will presume that the Petition for Divorce was filed.  I will also assume that a court appearance took place, the divorce judgment was rendered and the Judge ordered that a judgment be submitted.

Usually the Court will order one party's attorney or the other to submit the judgment.  The Court's minute entry will reflect who was to prepare and file the judgment.  Unfortunately, sometimes judgments never get submitted to the Court.  If no judgment has ever been submitted, then you would have the right to submit a judgment to the court.  You would have to send your spouse's attorney a courtesy copy of what you intend to file with the court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.