What are my rights if I was in an auto accident involving a work truck driven by an employee who had a suspended license?

The employer asked me many times not to call the police because the gentleman had priors and would go to jail. I called to make the report anyway. The police officer said that if we entered into a civil agreement that was satisfactory that we could call him by 3 pm and have the report canceled. We went to a car repair center and the estimate was $5500 – at which point the woman who was representing the company told us they would be turning it over to their insurance and that we would hear from them. Turns out they have no insurance and now their lawyer is saying our only option is to turn it over to my insurance which will not cover repairs.

Asked on June 13, 2014 under Accident Law, Missouri


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You can sue the employee and the employer both for your damage, if you believe the employee driver was "at fault" (e.g. driving carelessly) in causing the accident: the driver would be liable as the negligent (careless) or at fault driver, and his employer would be liable under one or both of the following theories as well--

1) If the truck was being driver for work/as part of the employee's job, they could be liable under the theory of "respondeat superior," which makes employers liable for the wrongful acts of employees committed in the course of employment;

2) The owner of a vehicle is liable if a person whom it allowed to drive the vehicle was at fault in an accident.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.