If a relative of mine is using her children’s names on bills and is destroying their credit, what can I do if anything?

As the question states, I have a relative who is using her 2 son’s names for the bills on her home and neither of them are older then 10. She has failed to make payments on them and appears to have no intention of stopping. I’m aware that she is breaking the law by doing this but I can only find sites explaining what her children can do after they reach 18 and nothing saying if I can stop this. Is this because I can’t and am forced to watch their credit and lives plummet further or can I do anything to stop this?

Asked on July 11, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Massachusetts


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

It is commendable that you wish to help stop this terrible thing but legally you have no "standing" to stop it on their behalf.  You are not their legal guardian.  You would have to petition the court to obtain same.  She is committing fraud but that would be something you should speak with ana ttorney in your area about and what effect it will have on the family situation.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.