A QDRO and joinder were filed for CALstrs pension to divide community property. How do I reverse the court order and bring the status to before filing

My divorce was with “reserved jurisdiction” meaning that I am not really divorced. I would like to pull the Qdro and joinder to the original status and not divide the pension as prescribed in the court order.I would also like to be named beneficiary for the retirement benefits at the time when my husband passes away. What forms should I file and how can I be assured to be a recipient of benefits?

Asked on June 4, 2009 under Family Law, California


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I'm not a California attorney, so I don't know the exact procedure or what it's called in your state, but you're trying to modify the existing divorce (or not-quite-divorce) decree or judgment.  You would have to show some good reasons for changing things around to what you have in mind.  By far your best approach here is to have a lawyer in your area review all the facts of the case, and what it is you want to accomplish, so you can get reliable advice on what to do next, and how to go about it.  One place to find an attorney is our website, http://attorneypages.com

The QDRO is still a court order, and you cannot simply "pull" it, there will have to be a new court order to do that.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.