A promised raise I should have received in November of 2015 was signed and approved by my direct manager and the senior manager however because the HR senior manager hasn’t done anything with that, I haven’t received it. I AM A TEMP

When I asked for a raise I was told I
would get one beings I have been
employeed for over a year with the
company and receive no benefits
because I AM a temp. However when I
ask I am continuously told since
November that they are evaluating
however the documents have been
stuck on the same managers desk for
months now. What legally can I do?

Asked on February 29, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Indiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You most likely can't legally do anything: unless you had an actual written employment contract guarantying you this raise by a certain time, all raises, even ones promised to you, are voluntary on the part of the employer. (The law does not enforce promises which are not part of a contract; people and companies can renege on promises.) Therefore, if they delay a raise, fail to process one, or decide not to grant one, that is their choice, just as, without a written employment contract guarantying your pay, they could have given you a raise, then promptly demoted you or cut your pay if they changed their mind.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.