What should I do if a person has claimed that her child was injured by a spark from a fire performer on the sidewalk in front of my retail store?

The performers were not in my employ but were performing during a public event I was holding in my store. I have over 20 witnesses that will state that there was no child present during that performance which was only 10 minutes long. Do I need to contact an attorney or do I contact my insurance agency? I have no idea how to proceed.

Asked on October 28, 2014 under Personal Injury, Washington


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

It would be advisable to contact your insurance company.  If the insurance company is unable to settle the case, the insurance company will provide you with an attorney at no cost to you.  That attorney will handle the case for you.

Based on 20 witnesses stating that no child was present, the claim is probably fraudulent and your insurance company will probably deny the claim.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.