What to do if a painter took my $1000 but now will not paint my house?

He keeps giving me excuse after excuse as to why he can’t come. It’s been 10 weeks.

Asked on June 26, 2014 under Business Law, Michigan


Shawn Jackson / The Jackson Law Firm, P.C.

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

On the assumption that you have a written agreement and/or evidence of a verbal agreement, the you will simply want to file a court action in your local Small Claims Court. As you might imagine with some service providers, they either "over commit" to jobs or simply not motivated after getting paid the money...so you will want to capture his/her attention by have them served with court papers to show up in court

Shawn Jackson California Business Development Attorney

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.