A minor is comeing money in from a lawsuit does the money has to come in to a trust fund though probate court?

Asked on May 31, 2009 under Accident Law, Michigan


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The way this is handled can differ from one state to the next, and I'm not a Michigan attorney, so you'll need to ask local counsel for the details.  One place to find a lawyer near you is our website, http://attorneypages.com

Typically, personal injury recoveries for a minor are kept in a trust of some sort, whether it's with the court, an attorney's trust account or a separate account with a third party trustee, and often the court has to be asked to approve any spending from the trust, at least until the person turns 18.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.