What to do if a man owes me money for an item I gave him but I don’t have documentation of any kind on the terms?

The amount is $1700. I do have a mutual friend witness. How can I proceed? I want to take legal action though small claims courts.

Asked on December 6, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You can sue him in small claims court. Loans made pursuan to oral agreements (nothing in writing) are legally enforceable. Obviously, it can be harder to prove the existence and terms of the loan if there is nothing in writing, but you can use your testimony, another witnesses' testimony, proof of payment (e.g. cancelled checks), etc. to establish your case. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.