What to do if a man let another man that he works with stay at his house for a little while but now the guest won’t leave without a court eviction?

The man who needs to leave is abusive, especially to the women in the house. He told them he was moving but now says he can stay as long as he wants and do what he wants no matter what. He claims they threaten him but he is the one threatening. He went into the aunt’s house uninvited and when told to leave refused. The next day claims they tried to stab him. He works full-time but has told the Dept. of Human Services he is homeless and lost his job so he can still receive benefits from them. Can this claim of homelessness help to remove him or what are our options?

Asked on August 14, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Oregon


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that the over extended "guest" have a visit from the local police department and be removed from the premises that he occupies. Bring up the fact that this person is abusive and is not an owner or tenant of the unit that you are writing about.

The homeless claim should not help this person. I suggest that you consult immediately with a landlord tenant attorney about the situation you have written about.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.