If a man who is a US citizen has a baby with a woman who lives abroad, what is her right to child support?

A man from the US traveled to Brazil and it resulted in a Brazilian woman having his baby. He stopped contact with her. What is her legal right to receive support and possibly come to the US? They may now get married.

Asked on June 22, 2014 under Immigration Law, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

The woman who has the child can file suit for child support in her own country against the father or in the United States and most likely the father will be ordered to pay some monthly child support for the child. If the woman marries the man (or becomes engaged to him) she can apply for a visa to enter this country.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.