What to do if a man entered my posted “no trespassing, private property” residence?

I answered the door with my rifle in hand and told this person they were trespassing and to leave immidiately as police are on their way. He broke through my locked screendoor and acosted me, then pulled me outside and furthered to hit me, in defense I struck back to try and get back into my home. He threatened to kill my family and newborn child as well. The police are only charging him with harassment even tho he admittedly told police he drove there with a .15 bac level. They even let him leave with another person driving the vehicle. They also are charging me with harassment for defending myself on my own private property. What are my rights?

Asked on December 3, 2013 under Criminal Law, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Based upon what you have written about you have the right to use reasonable force to defend yourself against the party who accosted you. Given what you have written, I suggest that you consult with a criminal defense attorney in your locality who also practices personal injury law to assist you in defending the criminal charge and in bringing a personal injury case. One in your locality can be found on attorneypages.com.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.