If a light pole fell on top of my car while I was driving and now my doctor wants me to get an MRI, who pays it?

How do I get the company to pay for a new car and injuries? What is process where do I go from here?

Asked on September 9, 2014 under Accident Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You can ask the utility company to pay for your injuries and losses (though note: in terms of a car, even if they are at fault and do pay, they will only pay the lesser of the cost to repair the car or the then-current value of the car--they will not necessarly pay for a new car).

If they refuse to pay voluntarily, you would have  to sue them. To win the lawsuit, you would have to be able to prove--

1) That it is more likely than not that they were "at fault" in the pole falling, such as by not installing, maintaining, or repairing it properly--if it fell through no fault of theirs, such as due to unusually high winds or hitting it and knocking it onto your car, they would not be liable; and

2) The amount or extent of your injuries, medical costs, and property damage.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.