What do I do if a lady rear-ended me and she has no insurance and a revoked license?

Asked on December 13, 2015 under Accident Law, Missouri


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can sue her for any damages, costs, and injuries you incurred--not having insurance doesn't mean that she would not have to pay if at fault; it just means that she does not have insurance to pay for her, but would have to pay herself if you win the lawsuit. Of course, as a practical matter, a woman with no insurance and a revoked license may not have any appreciable assets or income, and so may not be able to pay even if you sue and win...or she may be able to pay but ignore the judgement (since she seems to ignore her legal obligations), forcing you to spend time and money on collections efforts even after the winning the lawsuit. If your damages are slight, it is probably not worth a lawsuit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.