What is a business’s liability if a kid injured his clavicle while playing tag in the store running full speed?

The father decides to ask for a settlement due to the business’ negligence; however, there are no reports of any spillage, etc. that could have led to the kid’s injury. Should the business, as the defendant, argue for the responsibilities or agree on a settlement that is quite large?

Asked on July 8, 2014 under Personal Injury, California


Richard Southard / Law Office of Richard Southard

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

The business should have notified their insurance carrier; as I can't imagine a business not having premises liability insurance. The insurance carrier will investigate, assign an attorney to raise all your possible defenses.  If their is no insurance, the business should hire a defense attorney to explore defenses, mitigate damages, apportion liability  and negotiate on its behalf.  The plaintiff bears the burden of estalishing that the business was somehow negligent. To combat this and possily seek a summary judgment of dismissal, the business'es lawyer needs to research similar cases and make a motion to the judge.  The business needs more legal help than can be found by posting questions on the internet

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.