If there is a judgment against 6 parties, can 1 be made to to pay the full amount?

I had judgment which against total 6 parties including me. when I talked to the lawyer to pay my responsible amount(I think total amount divide by 6), the lawyer told me to pay full amount not partial. Is it correct? I thought if judgment against 6 parties, other 5 and I should share total amount. Not just me have all responsible. How do I need to talk to the lawyer back regarding my partial amount, since he asked me to pay full amount?

Asked on June 28, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, California


Cameron Norris, Esq. / Law Office of Gary W. Norris

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You need to have the lawyer explain why this is so.  You probably have joint and several liability.  Whenever a person acts intentionally bad--or when they act in concert with other people or sometimes when it involves certain consumer protection areas like products liability, then joint and several liability applies.  Joint and several liability simply means that every defendant who is found guilty is liable for the full amount, not just their proportionate share.  Then, after you have paid more than your share, you have to sue the other defendants for contribution related to their fault.  If you want to read the CA case that established all of this nonsense, then read: American Motorcycle Association v. Superior Court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.