If a judge adjudicated me guilty 17 years ago of a crime and I’ve since gotten my rights restored, Can I now get that conviction over turned?

Asked on October 17, 2014 under Criminal Law, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Having your rights restored by the Board of Clemency does not necessarily mean that your conviction can be overturned. The Board does not make a determination on your guilt or innocence but only looks to see how you have behaved since the conviction and if you have come far enough to be able to have your right to vote, serve on a jury, etc., restored. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.