If a jeweler mistakenly scrapped my mother’s engagement ring, what recourse do I have?

I had him remove the diamond and set it in another ring. I asked him to return the engagement ring to me but now he can’t find it and believes he may have scrapped it in error. What does he owe me if that’s the case?

Asked on July 26, 2012 under Business Law, New Jersey


John Ducey / Law Offices of John G. Ducey,PC

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

He would owe you the value of the ring.  He should be able to figure out what he received for it.


John Ducey

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.