A J-1 visa allows for entry into the US 30 days prior to commencing study, it is possible to enter earlier than this?

I’m hoping to arrive close to 60 days prior to commencing the course I will be
applying for the J-1 Visa for, is it possible to either extend the 30 day grace
period or to travel on a second visa for the time before?

Asked on May 23, 2016 under Immigration Law, Alaska


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

This will be subject to the discretion of the immigration officer at the port of entry for purposes of entry  As far as the extension after the course of study, you can always try to extend at that point.  For the time being, if you have sufficient evidence or documentatio as to why you want to enter the US earlier, be ready to present at the airport.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.